Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Return from Montrose

I was up at 1am...ish and out the door by 2:08. The night before I had tried to get to sleep by 7..but remembered the van was on empty. After a fill up, and then my Dad checking the fluid levels and topping off everything, I could finally settle down.

Do you ever notice how hard it is to fall asleep when you know you will suffer the next day if you don't? Finally I had drifted off. The kids were in the other room watching a movie and were instructed to come to bed when it was over. What I had not counted on was the fact that they would fight, and totally disrespect my need for sleep. One after another they would come screaming at the top of their lungs about what the other was doing to them. I was so frustrated and verging on very nervous. I didn't want to even look at the clock, because knowing exactly how much sleep I wasn't getting, would NOT have helped my case.

The next morning started out well, I was able to gather all my stuff (I had done most of it the night before) and got the kids in the car and was on my way as I said prior, at 2am.
I was really making time, doing pretty good. I made a couple of pit stops to wake up and stretch my legs. Pretty soon the pod casts and books on tape weren't working. I was drifting, my eyes were glazing over, and the scars on my arm from digging my fingernails into myself are just leftover marks of a technique that rarely works for me. It was time to think about safety. I pulled over at 7:30 in Provo, UT and told the kids "mommy has to sleep" I don't remember much after that. I woke up 40 minutes later to the kids sleeping and myself snoring (I think that's what woke me). I was so much better.

We made it to Ontario, OR which is right on the border. We found a wonderful Holiday Inn express. The girls wanted to play in the room before they went swimming. I took that opportunity to find a LYS. I found one and set the address in my GPS. Well I had worked up a pretty good appetite and told the girls we needed to go eat and that we would go swimming when we got back. The didn't know until we were all buckled that I wanted to locate the yarn store first. "no! you said we were going to go EAT!" "I know...i just want to see where it is first". I couldn't find it, I couldn't remember the name of it, so I gave up. We had some sizzler I ate way to much! I need to stop attending buffet style restaurants.

When we got back, I held to my promise and the girls got to go swimming, and I got to knit. Not a very fun pattern. Just a garter stitch dish cloth that was boring me to death, so I decided to practice my continental style knitting....I wasn't bored anymore...just frustrated.
When we got back to the room I put the girls in the tub...I don't usually do that unless I have some 409 to spray the tub down for added precaution, but I needed some peace and I wanted them to have fun in that beautiful deep tub, so I said a little prayer and threw them in there.

Then I got to thinking...If that yarn store had a web site...they MUST still be in business. I needed to know, I needed to call, and time was running out. Sure enough! Not only were they still in business, but they were OPEN! I had one hour till they closed. I ran into the bathroom and almost literally dragged them out of the bath. They were not happy when I told them why...but oddly enough, I didn't care.

Let me just say, I found that yarn store and it was a dream. It seems that with each one I discover they get better. I almost didn't go just because I knew I was going to love it and that it was soooo far away. I live 8 hours from Ontario. We are at extremes for being in the same state. The yarn was so beautiful. There were all the books I could ever want. Everywhere I looked I could see a project hanging somewhere. Yarn was tucked in every nook and cranny and it was all touchable! The owner was so warm and treated my girls so nice. If I could have a weekend, i would drive to Ontario in the winter and stay a couple of nights in a hotel just so I could sit in front of the beautiful fire place and knit and chat it up from the stores open to close.

No comments:

Post a Comment