Monday, June 22, 2009

the blanket, the bear, and the knitting lesson


The blanket and the bear have gone to good homes. The bear in the photo above was the first one I made and that went to my great nephew. after that I made 3 more. One for each of my daughters, and one for my sister in California.

I got a call from my sister as soon as she got the bear. She was so happy. I was so happy that she loved it as much as she did. I love making special tags and pining them to my work with yarn and a gold safety pin, makes me feel like I bought it at a boutique.

I just got the call today from my 2nd cousin, who's baby the blanket is for, she loved it so much and said it was so pretty she didn't want to use it. I told her it is very washable and to please use it.

I have been trying to persuade my 7 year old to take up knitting. At first she was all for it, until one time when she needed help and I wasn't in a position to help her and I was trying to instruct her by words, not action, and I got frustrated, she got frustrated, and one of us ended up crying. So I ruined it....for a while. I asked her every day for about 3 weeks if she wanted to learn to knit. no no no no no nope no no.

Until today! We were at the park and me and all my friends were doing needle work, Emily came over and said "I want to learn to crochet" I said "NOPE you have to learn to knit first" she said ok. Lets just say that I learned my lesson from my first time teaching her, and she is well on her way.

Tonight we were sitting on the couch and she was happily knitting with her legs folded to the side of her, so peaceful and content, not frustrated (at least that I could tell). I was watching her, and she said "mom, you don't have to watch me" how could I not watch my oldest kin take on a skill that will bring her so much contentment in years to come. How could I not watch my little prodigy follow in my footsteps? How could I not watch her to make sure she was doing it right??? I am so proud of her. We are taking a long car ride on Wednesday...I hope she wants to bring her knitting along.

No comments:

Post a Comment